Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wayne Theibaud Exhibit

I went on a field trip down to the Springville art Museum with my art friend Kim from down the street to see the Wayne Theibaud exhibition. I had made an attempt to see this show before with my mother-in-law, Judy, but with the kids we didn't last long! So Aunt Leslie (THANKYOU!!) watched the kids while Kim and I saw the show.
I fell in love with his luscious cakes of the 1960's in my art textbooks long ago, but I was in for something even more of a treat.
More than half of the paintings in the exhibit were recent works, some completed less than a year ago. Now if you think that is cool, take into consideration that Wayne Theibaud is 87! His canvases were huge and painted with such energy! To know that he is painting with such vigor still, is inspiring speaks to me of the humane spirit!
There was also a room full of Theibaud's sketches and drawings. As an artist, to see a master's sketch, is to glimpse into his thought process as he is creating a piece.
It was a wonderful trip, well worth the time, and the gas! The show ends July 27, so don't put it off! http://sma.nebo.edu/


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am really hungry now