Saturday, October 4, 2008

Granny All-Gone Cake


The other day I made a cake my Grandma Wilson made once while I was visiting her called Granny Cake. From the looks of this picture though and the rate at which this cake was consumed,
maybe a better name would be "Granny, All-gone Cake"!

This cake has a real twist. First off, at first bite, you'd think it was a wonderfully dense caramel cake, maybe nutmeg? When I asked my grandma for the recipe I was shocked when I read a whole can of crushed pineapple!

When making the batter I did a double take and almost called Grandma when I saw it contained no oil or butter. Then the recipe gets really interesting because after pouring the batter into the pan you sprinkle brown sugar all over the top to create that caramel goodness! While it is cooking, because no good cake is without butter, you simmer a saucepan of evaporated milk, butter, and vanilla for 10min so it's really nice and rich! Right when the cake comes out of the oven you pour the sweet syrupy substance all over the cake and the cake literally breathes it in creating little sink holes across it's surface seeping with the rich caramel sauce.
My favorite way of serving it; hot with milk poured straight into the bowl. I love the hot and cold contrast and after the first few bites the milk turns golden and sweet. -I wouldn't let my husband eat it any other way!

My thoughts always turn to the memories of those whose recipes I am cooking. So naturally I thought about Grandma as I made her cake. She is such a hostess. After our long drive up to Canada, she had prepared an early dinner complete with side dishes (not so common in my own home) and Granny cake. When I finished my piece and asked for another, Grandpa said "I knew I liked you! Now I can ask for one too, boy am I glad you're here!" When we had both finished our 2nd pieces, Grandpa suggested I ask for a third. Grandma replied, "Norm, you've pushed your luck!"
Just thinking about that makes me chuckle, and I know I'll always remember this story every time I make this cake.

Granny-All-Gone Cake
2 eggs
1 c. white sugar
1 19oz. can crushed pineapple with juices
2c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt

mix wet ingredients and sift dry ingredients together. Then stir in the dry ingredients
Pour into 9 X 13 pan and sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar
Bake @ 350 for 35-40min.

While cooking, make topping
1/2 can evaporated milk
1/3 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1tsp. vanilla
Allow to simmer for 10min NOT stirring constantly.
Pour over cake immediately when taken from oven.

4 comments:

Leila said...

No fair! I gained 15 pounds just reading your entry! Sigh!

But now I'll have to try it and spread the joy. If I'm going to gain it reading about it, I'll have to gain it by true consumption!
Leila

Unknown said...

Jeni,
That cake sounds divine! I'm going to try it! I can just hear that conversation with you and Grandma and Grandpa W. How funny! If I may so boldly ask, can I put that recipe on my cooking blog? If you don't want me to, I completely understand. :)

Karen said...

I agree on the hostess with the mostess, that is my mother. (we don't do side dishes either). My kids gobbled that cake up too....even 22 year old Roger. I too can hear the conversation & can picture that in my mind. Thanks for sharing that memory.
I think it should be suggested to the family (your aunts) that the name be offically changed to "Granny All-Gone Cake"

Natalie said...

I'll have to try that recipe out. And I can totally hear that conversation with Grandpa